Thursday, July 11, 2013

Beef heart... It's what's for dinner.

I told Zack last night while preparing this meal that I didn't want to share the goodness that is beef heart to everyone... But I changed my mind because people shouldn't be afraid of organ meats, the heart especially. Not only is it very very VERY tasty, it's also very good for you. It's about 68% protein, very high in iron (which is good for you ladies), high in vitamin B12 (which supports healthy nerve and blood cells), and low in fat. Not to mention, it's also one of the biggest and cheapest cuts of meat there is!

Here it is... In all it's anatomic glory. This heart I purchased from the Harvell's Black Angus Beef at the farmers market. This chunk of meat was $4.50!

To prepare, it is advisable to trim off the hard white cartilage fat stuff... I'm not really sure exactly what it is.


A good sharp paring knife will do the trick. Next, I cut it in half. This is not necessary, but you are able to get a good sear on it in smaller pieces. Now you can see all the ventricles and arteries... If this grosses you out feel free to trim them out. 


I seasoned them with a good amount of black pepper, salt, and garlic. While you heat up a big cast iron skillet with oil and about 2 tablespoons of butter (because it is a health food). That's my favorite skillet Big Bertha.
Once everything is good and hot, cram the two pieces in and allow to sear for about 10 minutes or so on each side. This is a big piece of meat so it could stand to go longer. Also, pre heat your oven to 400 degrees.

Sorry for the blurry picture.  I also added some onions in there for good measure. Once it's seared the way you like it put it in the hot oven for about 30 minutes. Once it comes out let it rest for however long you can wait and slice. I forgot a picture of when it came out, but heres one of Zack's dinner plate.


This is cooked about medium rare. Of course you can cook it longer. We had squash and eggplant as a side but mashed potatoes would have been awesome. We were only able to eat half of it so there is enough for lunch tomorrow. So that's $4.50 for 2 meals for 2 people! Talk about cheap eating. Heart is not tough nor does it have the typical "organ meat" taste. It tastes like beef. Embrace this folks...... wait don't..... I don't want the price to go up!

No comments:

Post a Comment