Monday, July 28, 2014

Mind your own business and work with your hands

My husband and I had pretty different upbringings. He grew up in a fairly high population setting surrounded by a lot of money. Not local politician or Bill Gates money, but that kind of strong middle class, disposable income, that you don't see anymore. On the other hand, I grew up in pretty rural middle America. We didn't have to scrape by and we never went without, in fact we were able to go on vacations every once in awhile, but a disposable income was not even really on my parents radar when my brother and I were growing up. We just didn't live in almost luxury like my husband did.

These different backgrounds make homesteading hard because his ideas require a capital investment that we don't have the money for. In fact, many of the ideas I have require an investment that just cannot happen without months of planning and saving. As Zack puts it, he funds the homestead, I keep it together.

For the past few weeks we have been discussing what I will do next semester while I finish up my degree. I could go back to a part-time minimum wage job, or I could stay home, while I'm not in class, and produce what I can. This has not been a easy decision and it has not been made without judgement and others strong opinions.

Zack and I have both agreed from the get go, that if and when we have a kid that I will be staying home for it's infancy, if not longer. This seems to boggle peoples' mind because the idea of a parent not working for a few years is just out of this world nowadays. But many of these types of people, were raising kids during a time when child care was not outrageous and work was easier to find. Not to mention many were also blessed to have their parents nearby to watch their children while they worked, because a stay-at-home-mom was pretty dang normal. We likely will not have these things, Zack's parents work, and my mom lives 7 hours away.

I'm not sure that one of us quitting a job all together will happen (because we like trips too much) but one of us working a job less, is definitely something that we value and will implement. Cutting out the dependency is something we want. Making money is not always the answer. I don't really know where I'm going with this, other than saying; you live on what you make. Work with your hands, consume less, and produce more. Figure out what you can do without and what you are not willing to give up. Come up with a happy median of making money and cultivating your family or dirt. Do what you think is best for your family and don't give a damn what others think because you know what is best for your situation.

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody."

No comments:

Post a Comment